Prepare for the Overlords!

Facebook Badge

Thursday, September 09, 2004

The Smirking Chimp: "On 2004-09-05 14:28, miffy wrote:
I don't like to fault Xtians for being political because from early childhood my own religious orientation was extremely political. I was raised Unitarian and for the years that my family attended the First Unitarian Universalist Church in Detroit it was ALL politics all the time--civil rights, feminism, anti-Vietnam War activism, anti-nukes, environmentalism. Our minister, Rev. Anthony Perrino, was a local hero for having gone to jail for referring a parishoner to a doctor who'd give her a safe a pre-Roe V. Wade abortion. We sang songs about feeding the poor children of the world and performed pro-peace skits and trick-or-treated for UNICEF. And nobody in this world can tell me it was wrong of us to mix religion and politics. So be fair, dudes.





You're confusing politics with resistance. If your parish minister was truly mixing religion with politics then he wouldn't have been put in jail. There's nothing wrong with churches taking position as advocates on social issues. There's something seriously wrong when it decides to make itself a handmaid to a political power structure to advance its ideology and make that ideology the law of the land. "

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
eureka, California, United States
As Popeye once said,"I ams what I am." But then again maybe I'm not